Friday, February 23, 2007

The GRiP of the Wealthy

I am an MBA aspirant, hence, read a lot of business and corporate news. I read articles on rich Indian companies and rich Indian people. I read interviews of and articles on the various owners, CEOs and MDs of Indian companies. I can't help noticing that more than 95 % of the richest guys are basically from Gujarat, Rajasthan or Punjab. Basically, the Indian corporate scenario is ruled by a combine of Marwadis, Gujaratis, Sindhis, Punjabis and Parsis. These five communities control most of large companies. Not only that, a majority of the high posts in most MNCs as well as other companies are with this guys.

I have opened in an alongside tab, the Forbes 2006 list.

The list goes like this : (the ones in caps are not from the GRiP !)

l n mittal
m ambani
a ambani
A PREMJI(nb : gujarati speaking! )
k p singh
s mittal
k birla
t tanti
R CHANDRA(I don.t know where he is from !)
p mistry
a agarwal
s & r ruia
a godrej
SHIV NADAR(Tamil Nadu, I think)
i jain
d sanghvi
r bajaj
so on and so forth.....

Basically, Mittals, Birlas, Ambanis, Agarwals, Singhs and Jains rule the roost.

No comments: